Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"On Your Way" by Alabama Shakes



"On Your Way" by Alabama Shakes



On your way to God, did you think of me, imagine losing someone who is very close to you, or worse, imaging losing that person when it just as easily could have been you?  This song, “On Your Way” by the Alabama Shakes, literally puts me in a place that I have never been.  I have never asked “on your way to god, did you think of me, or thought, “on your way to heaven, did you say I’ll see you again.” I have never lost someone close, so close to the point of saying “it wasn’t me, why wasn’t it me?”    However, for some reason when I hear this song, it puts me in a place; a place where I feel deep loss, and regret for my life still here on earth.  Most of the time I sing out loud as if I have the voice of Brittney Howard and the feelings of the lyrics were mine. I can see myself standing there thinking, “On your way to the promised land, did you say--- oh, she was such a friend?”  I would wallow in my low existence on this earth thinking, “then they took you higher, and I don’t know if I can follow”.  I want to follow and be with you again, but I don’t think I have what it takes to get there.  With no hope in sight I question, “it wasn’t me, why wasn’t it me?”  You’re always on my mind, did you know “on your way, I said to the air, I don’t know if I am strong,” strong enough to survive all on my own?  “So I climbed to the mountain, and I don’t know what I did wrong? Cause it was just me, just little ole’ me.”

No comments: