Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Rhythm importance

Webster dictionary defines melody as a rhythmic succession of single tones organized as an aesthetic whole. Webster also defines an ordered recurrent alternation of strong and weak elements in the flow of sound and silence in speech. As my title to this blog plainly shows, I believe rhythm is more important than melody. For starters, all melody is rhythm but not all rhythm in melody. Without rhythm there would be nothing to make up the music we listen to let alone the melody of the song. Rhythm is the back bone and overall structure that supports the song. My second reasoning for why I believe rhythm is more important than melody is that rhythm is the simplest form as well as the starting point of a given piece of music. As I’m setting here writing this blog I am making up a rhythm by tapping my foot or clicking my pencil on the desk. But if I want to make a melody I would need to combine multiple rhythms as well as other musical elements to mold it in to a well sounding melody. For an example, when a musician sets down to write a song where do you this he or she starts. Do they start by writing the melody strait out? Of course not, they come up with a rhythm they like and go on from there. Also, rhythm defines how a song is going to sound. Changing a single beat in a rhythm can turn a rock sounding beat into a more African sounding style. Even thou some rhythms are not as complex as a melody may be, you couldn't have structured music without it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked how you described rhythm as being a starting point. It is true it is the backbone and that other elements could be added to the piece. Melody to me is an element. Well done.

Unknown said...

What caught me in this was the way you started with the definition. good job.

hsage0707 said...

I think you made a very good point--rhythm is the backbone essentially to everything. We hear it every day. It doesn't have to be in the form of a song. It could be just noise in general, like tapping your foot or clicking your pencil on the desk. It is so much more important because the rhythm always comes first. I agree with you! Like my blog made you re-think how you wrote your's, your's also made me re-think how I wrote mine as well. Good job.

Lorren Newingham said...

I like how you explained what rhythm meant to you. A very well written explaination and you gave support to back up your thoughts. Your thoughts on the matter are interesting.