Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Contact


- Contact  - album cover


The name of the show is Contact, released on March 6, 2001 and premiered March 30, 2001 in the Vivian Beaumont Theater. The Broadway was written by John Weidman and directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman. The show is divided into three parts: the first piece involves a youthful relationship and a swing; the second is about an Italian restaurant in Queens in 1954 where the heroine, trapped in a loveless marriage, fulfills her romantic fantasies; and the third includes a 40 year old suicidal man who tries to engage a beautiful young woman in a yellow dress. In each story, the central character expresses a longing to make a romantic connection. The stereotypical idea I see in this musical is that a 40 year old “suicidal” man is trying to get with a beautiful girl in a yellow dress. This to me is an attempt by him to find a reason to continue living. A pretty girl in a yellow dress represents hope and life, while a suicidal man symbolizes lack of optimism and manhood, giving the woman power over the man. The music included is from the likes of Tchaikovsky, Stephane Grappelli, the Squirrel Nut Zippers, Royal Crown Revue, and The Beach Boys. The music matches the action because it gives a romantic type of feeling. I have not seen this musical; I've actually never seen a musical. Mostly because I don’t enjoy them and they don’t interest me. Therefore I wouldn't be interested in seeing it. 

2 comments:

Lorren Newingham said...

Romance always seems to be the underlying plot to most dramatic stories. It is interesting how the play tells three different situations yet ties them altogether. This musical seems interesting to me.

Unknown said...

This show kind of sounds like a pretty typical love story that you see in a lot of films, books, etc, but it does still sound entertaining me and I wouldn't mind seeing it.