Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rambling Rover - The Dubliners

This song is Rambling Rover performed by “The Dubliners”. The song Rambling Rover is over 200 years old and performed by many Irish influenced bands. This song has many instruments that are not normally heard in most music. These instruments include the mandolin, Irish tin whistle, and Celtic influence style drums. The mandolin is kind of like a guitar but it has a different sound. It is widely found in more Indian and bluegrass music. The sound of an Irish tin whistle is so unique that there's nothing I can use to describe it. I would say it sounds like a flute, but that would not do it justice. As for the Celtic style drums, they are smaller hand drums that are hit with a wooden style hand club that gives it a different style of sound. The reason why I enjoy listening to Rambling Rover is that it has that old-timey feel that you don't see in modern music. Every time I hear this song, I picture myself walking down an old stone road in Ireland surrounded by rolling hills of green. It just gives me a very happy and joyful feeling every time I hear it. I don't know if this is because of my significant Irish background or because I just really like the song. It is most likely both, because when I was in Ireland I heard a lot of Celtic stye music everywhere I went. The music in Ireland gave me a strange sense of being home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very intersting i would have to agree.

hsage0707 said...

I am not going to lie--the whole time I listened to this song I literally pictured you "walking down an old stone road in Ireland surrounded by rolling hills of green." (: You are so Irish, but I admire that. It is part of who you are. Can I call you the leprechaun from now on? All kidding aside, I enjoyed reading your blog and I learned a lot from it.

Unknown said...

I've never really listened to anything like this but it's very unique and I like how you talked about the connection you have with this type of music.