Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Flight of the Valkyries




When I first read our blog on propaganda this week, I immediately had in mind an idea that I wanted to write about. For this week, I chose to write about Flight/Ride of the Valkyries by Wilhelm Richard Wagner and its uses in depicting the Vietnam War and the effect it had on later wars. Flight of the Valkyrie has a very powerful sound which brings out mixed emotions in most cases. In Western pop culture this song was intended to evoke images of epic battles as well as military badassery in iconic helicopter raids. The example above shows how we would depict Flight of the Valkyrie to be used. In many of the armed forces today, as well as dating back a while, they use movies and clips with this song in them to inspire courage and bravery. I believe most would say this is one of the most ominous pieces ever written.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I had never heard of this song before but I can definitely see how it would be used to inspire courage and bravery.

Unknown said...

i have heard this song befor, and you are right about it bringing out mixed emotions. this song makes me want to go into war. good blog.

James Noble said...

I know.....it makes me want to fight people lol

Lorren Newingham said...

We heard this example in class during the Music and Gender chapter. Richard Wagner composed and wrote the Der Ring des Nibelungen, an opera that precedded the lord of the rings. I think it is a great example of music that permeates time and can be used for propaganda purposes when it was written around 1876.