Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sex is not a required element

In my opinion, I do not think sex is a required element in order to sell music, movies, theatre, or other artistic endeavours . However, I do think it is much more acceptable than it was a generation or two ago and it is definitely used more than it used to be. There are some genres of music, movies, and theatre where there is a lot of sexual content, and they are successful, but I do not believe the use of sex is what necessarily makes it popular. On the other hand, there is also a lot of genres that rarely have any sexual content, and it is still just as successful. People want to listen to or watch things that will be interesting to them, for example sports, family, love, comedy or music in general. None of these need sex as an element to make it popular because people will be drawn to it for the bigger picture. As I said before, the element of sex is, however, more acceptable now that it was before. Before, actually, it was rather uncommon to have sex as an element in music, movies, and other artistic endeavours.  This backs up my view that sex isn’t a required element, because those artistic endeavours still managed to keep people interested and be very successful.  But like I said before, sex is a lot more acceptable in today’s society. There are artists like Rihanna and Lady Gaga who often have a lot of sexual material in their songs which are extremely popular, but on the other hand there’s artists like Taylor Swift who often sings about love, but never includes sexual content, and she is just as popular.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

True. Todays world seems to except more sexual content than in previous years. It is a true shame. Good blog.

Lorren Newingham said...

I really agree with your blog. I found it really hard to think of things that were successful and not sexual, and Taylor Swift was a great example! It is sad to me that it is so hard to think of art today without sex.