Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hypocrite?

A person’s religion or spirituality is very important to the music that they make. In most cases a person is very passionate and wants to exemplify their religious beliefs and values through all things that they do. Who are we to decide if a person of one religion can create music expressing beliefs that are not their own? The problem that arises if a musician created music that is not in ordinance with their own beliefs, is that the musician does not seem true to their own selves. A proper definition is a hypocrite, a person who goes against their beliefs. If you are going against your beliefs then it seems as if you are not a true believer in your religion or spirituality. If I had heard a piece of music by an artist claiming to believe in god then singing that god is not real, it would devalue the music to me. At first, it would make me question if they are being sarcastic or trying to ambiguously persuade the listener from these beliefs. Should artist avoid making the listener question their religious beliefs or spirituality? To me I believe it is up to the artist. If an artist is devoutly faithful to their religion, I would suggest they stay within the realms of their religion in order to avoid personal/ moral hatred. However, I cannot say that for every musician in the world. It really just depends on their beliefs, how strongly they believe, and their personal interpretations of their beliefs. I do believe that if you separate artist’s beliefs from the music. The music can still be appreciated and is just as beautiful to the listener, regardless of the artist personal beliefs.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I like how you stated how music is can still be enjoyed if you pull regardless of the artists beliefs. I would not listen to anything that would drag you down spiritually though. Good blog.

hsage0707 said...

I enjoyed reading your blog because you had the same views as I did in some ways and then in other ways you did not. I do see your point though. This is one of those topics where there really is no good answer because it is opinion bases.

James Noble said...

I liked reading your blog even thou we are not completely on the same page. I seeing different points of view other than just mine.

Unknown said...

I liked and agree with a lot of the things you talked about. If I heard a piece of music by an artist claiming to believe in god then singing that god is not real, it would devalue the music to me as well.

Manfred said...

I agree that the passion and value that an artist gives his or her music has a lot to do with if they would sing controversially of their beliefs or not. Good blog!