Monday, October 15, 2012

Guys and Dolls


The musical that I decided to write about is Guys and Dolls. Guys and Dolls is a musical written by Jo Swerling and Abe Burrows with music and lyrics by Frank Loesser. This musical is about Nathan Detroit who is Desperate to find money to pay for his floating crap game, so he bets Sky Masterson a thousand dollars that Sky will not be able to take a local Salvation Army girl, Sarah Brown, to Cuba. While Nathan battles with his fiancé of fourteen years, Sky eventually is able to convince Sarah to join him. In Cuba, Sky ends up falling in love with Sarah and tries to reform his gambling ways. When he returns to New York, he bets all the members of the floating crap game that if he wins his roll of the dice, they will all have to go to church and repent. If he loses, he will give them each a thousand dollars. There are a few types of music played in this musical but it is mostly jazz style music. The music really does fit in very well with the actions happening on stage. I know this because my junior year at Galesburg High School we preformed Guys and Dolls and I was fortunate enough to be in the pit band. The music was extremely fun and it is some of my favorite music I have every played. Being in the pit I really didn't have the opportunity to watch it in the traditional sense but I really did love the musical. Even thou I was in the production of the musical I would really like to actually set down and watch the whole thing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it would be fun to be a part of the pit band for a musical. Good Blog.

hsage0707 said...

I saw this play at my high school. It was interesting and I would probably go to a musical to see it, for sure!

James Noble said...

It is a really good musical. I definitely recommend it to everyone.

Unknown said...

This musical sounds really interesting and original. It'd be one I'd like to go see.