Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hairspray


I chose to do my blog on the musical Hairspray. It was written by Mark O’Donnell and Thomas Meehan. The music is by Marc Shaiman and lyrics are by Scott Wittman. The musical is based on the John Waters film by the same name. The musical includes various upbeat 1960s-style music and downtown rhythm and blues which fit the story well since the plot is revolved around a dance show. It is about a teenage girl in high school by the name of Tracy Turnblad, and her one dream to dance on The Corny Collins Show. The show is actually based on the real show called The Buddy Deane Show. Eventually Tracy wins a shot to be on the show and she becomes an overnight celebrity. She soon realizes the racial tension that is on the show and soon starts a campaign to integrate it.  This story deals with several different issues and stereotypes. Race, for example, is a huge issue in the musical. There was only one day African-Americans were allowed on the show, which is “Negro Day.” Tracy doesn’t think this is right so she rallies everyone she can and starts a march against the television station on another special day on the show, “Mother-Daughter Day.” However, the police arrived on the scene and almost everyone is arrested. I have not seen the musical but I have seen the movie. I thought it was pretty good and would like to see the musical someday to be able to compare the two.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have seen the movie as well and would like to see the musical. Good Blog.

Lorren Newingham said...

Tracy Turnblad is the type of person I would love to be. She wins the heart of the public and still lobbies for the right thing to be done even if it will cost at the price of her fame. I have seen the movie and I liked it. I have a feeling that the musical on stage is ten times better though.

hsage0707 said...

I loved this movie when it came out. I really liked it because of the ethnicity aspect. Personally, I thought Tracy was really annoying, but the story line is great. I believe the musical would be even better than the movie.

James Noble said...

As like Sam said, I as well have only seen the movie and would like to go see the musical sometime.