Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I Can't Decide!!

We covered many topics within the last three months. We learned a lot about a few aspects that composers often incorporate into their music. For example, we covered topics on sex, gender, spirituality, and ethnicity. I found every class period we spent talking about these topics rather interesting. I learned a lot and they each opened my mind and let me view these topics from different perspectives. Learning about these aspects to music has made quite an impact on me. Almost every time I am in my car listening to music, I ask myself questions like, "I wonder what the song would be like if a man/woman sang this?" Sometimes I think, "Wow, the sexual content in this song really made the song popular and that must be why people listen to it." When I get deeper into thought on some songs, I wonder about the artist's spirituality and/or ethnicity and wonder if they have incorporated it into their work. My favorite topic? I cannot decide. Everything we have learned about has fascinated me in one way or another. With sex, I liked the blogs especially. Seeing everyone's response and opinion on it was very unique. No one wants to say sex is a required element in music, but in one way or another, it is. Whether it is physical attraction the artist talks about to full-on sexual content, in most music today, sex is a required element. The topic can be argued in either way, however. The topic on gender was interesting in the fact that the song's meaning would change if the gender was altered. I think it was interesting to see the different roles played in song. Ethnicity was intriguing in the sense that it really makes one have an appreciation for his/her ancestry. Spirituality is cool in the way that some artists practice songs of a different religion other than their own. Every topic was very unique and a lot was said about them. I liked everything we have learned so far.

2 comments:

James Noble said...

So there isn't one you like more than the other?

Unknown said...

I agree with you, all the topics discussed in class were each really interesting.