Thursday, October 4, 2012

Religious and Spiritual Music


An artists religion and spirituality may or may not be important to the music they create. It all matter on the artist and the music they make. No one is forced to produce music based on there religion as well as if you want to make music that isn't part of your religion there really is not much anyone can do. I honestly believe people should make music that is not part of there own spiritual beliefs if that is what the want to do. In saying that I do think that if an artist is going to make such music that they need to be respectful and learn about the religious music before creating there own. I do not think that this would completely devalue the musical experience. Music is completely about a persons interpretation. If a person that believes in Judaism wants to make Christian style music I am for it. I think it would be interesting to see what he makes with his Jewish background and what he has learned of Christianity. I do not think this should be avoided at any cost because music is very interpretational. Music is one of the only things every religion as well as culture shares. Granted non of them are the same but music is music. Just because someone that does not share your beliefs produces music based on it doesn't mean they do not understand or appreciate your religion. It only means that they believe something else but share in the love of music.

5 comments:

hsage0707 said...

I totally agree with you. My blog was very similar.

hsage0707 said...

I think it is okay for someone to produce music from an other religion as long as they're respectful and learn about it first. Otherwise they'll just look fake.

James Noble said...

I completely agree!!!

Unknown said...

I think the sentence "Music is completely about a persons interpretation" really sums up your whole blog and I definitely agree with you.

Lorren Newingham said...

I think you were one of the only blogs to incorporate the viewpoint of the listener. It was really a good point to the overall importance of this blog. Great blog!